Monday, August 12, 2013

Home Renovation 2013: The Intro

We spent a good chunk of this year sprucing up our house. It all started one weekend in March when we decided that we need more "projects" to keep us busy. So, what started out as one little project quickly took on a life of its own and here we are after 5 months, we have managed to work on the guest bathroom, the kitchen, the dining room, the office, the front sitting room, the backyard, and the front porch...and we're not quite done yet!  Now, what started out as "we" quickly turned into mostly "I", which sounds like a bit of a rotten deal, but it actually was a really good thing for me, timing wise.

My mom passed away suddenly in January of last year and I spent all of 2012 pretty much like a walking zombie. It's all a big fog and I honestly can't tell you what I did most of that year.  Then, after the first year memorial this past January, I was in serious need of something to keep me preoccupied, to give me a purpose...to keep living.  So, this renovation project turned out to be a therapy of some sort for me--sometimes it helped me to remember and reflect and I would have crying sessions in between all the painting, cutting and drilling, but most of the time, it helped me to just forget...

Things are winding down now and most of the tools and paint brushes have been put away, so I think this is a good time to look back and jot a few things down while still fresh in my memory.  So, on to Part 1...the guest bathroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment